A special election for Membership Director will be held Tuesday, August 18th at 7pm in the Silver Spring Civic Building.
The election will fill the position through the remainder of the 2014-2016 Executive Board’s terms.
For more information about MCYD’s process for filling vacancies, please visit www.mcyd.org/bylaws.
Per bylaws, we’ll accept nominations as early as our July Membership Meeting. Nominations will also be accepted through August 18th to firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as from the floor at our August 18th Meeting.
We’ll elect a special elections committee as the first order of business at the August meeting, take nominations from the floor, ask the committee to certify the ballot with any additions, and then hold elections.
Membership Director’s Role, Responsibilities, and Duties
To attract and develop young people into caring agents of change who work for sustainable and just communities via political action.
MCYD Executive Board
The Executive Board of the Montgomery County Young Democrats consists of 9 active, dues-paying members of MCYD. The current board is serving 2-year terms that will end January 1, 2015. The Board meets on the 1st Sunday of every month to discuss, decide, and carry-out the business that keeps MCYD running. This includes planning events, addressing local and state issues, working to develop members into leaders, and representing MCYD within the community.
The 9 board members serve in the following positions:
- Executive Vice President
- Programming Director
- Political Director
- Advocacy Director
- Communications Director
- Membership Director
Role and Responsibilities of the MCYD Membership Director:
The Membership Director works with other members of the Executive Board to support MCYD’s mission. In particular, the Membership Director supports current members and recruits and orients new members. The goal of the Membership Director is to engage and empower MCYD’s members to participate as fully as desired in our organization.
- Maintaining an accurate and current membership database
- Preparing and collecting member sign in sheets for Membership Meetings
- Confirming eligibility of potential members, per the MCYD bylaws
- Coordinating with the MCYD Treasurer to ensure member dues are received and deposited
- When necessary (e.g. during elections), providing appropriate committees and chartering organizations with requested documents and records
Additional Responsibilities May Include:
- Planning and coordinating outreach activities such as New Member Socials to recruit new members
- Representing MCYD at outreach events
- Providing information to new members regarding opportunities to get involved
- Developing materials like postcards, flyers, and potential member cards
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in Ex. Board meetings the 1st Sunday of every month from 2-4pm, typically in Wheaton Library
- Supporting membership meetings the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 7pm in Silver Spring
- Active, dues-paying member of the Montgomery County Young Democrats
- Must live, work, or go to school in Montgomery County
- Must be a currently-registered Democrat, if able to register to vote
- Be 35 years of age or younger through January 1, 2016
- Evident passion for young people, community activism, and progressive change
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate with diverse individuals/groups
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate with others
- Strong organizational and technological skills
Length of Term
- S/he will serve until January 1, 2016.